The film follows the story of programming prodigy and information activist Aaron Swartz. From Swartz’s help in the development of the basic internet protocol RSS to his co-founding of Reddit, his fingerprints are all over the internet.
But it was Swartz’s groundbreaking work in social justice and political organizing combined with his aggressive approach to information access that ensnared him in a two-year legal nightmare. It was a battle that ended with the taking of his own life at the age of 26.
Aaron’s story touched a nerve with people far beyond the online communities in which he was a celebrity. This film is a personal story about what we lose when we are tone deaf about technology and its relationship to our civil liberties.
German Version of The Internet’s Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz:
Tod eines Internet-Aktivisten | Die Aaron Swartz-Story (12.01.2015)
Film by Brian Knappenberger – Luminant Media:
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License:
The Internet’s Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz (Documentation 29.06.2014):
Help creating subtitles for this film:
- Richard David Precht: Adieu Fakten? (DAI Heidelberg) - 24.08.2017
- Palaissommer mit Richard David Precht und Christian Felber - 16.08.2017
- Richard David Precht: „Das Grundeinkommen kommt!“ - 16.08.2017
- Abgehört und abgenickt – Die etwas andere deutsch-amerikanische Freundschaft - 03.08.2017
- Die Geschichte des Technoviking (deutsche Version) - 02.08.2017