In the 1960s, a radical group of psychotherapists challenged the influence of Freudian ideas in America. They were inspired by the ideas of Wilhelm Reich, a pupil of Freud’s, who had turned against him and was hated by the Freud family.
He believed that the inner self did not need to be repressed and controlled. It should be encouraged to express itself. “This series is about how those in power have used Freud’s theories to try and control the dangerous crowd in an age of mass democracy.” – Adam Curtis | Deutsch: Das Centrum des Selbst – Teil 2 – The Gestallter des Konsens.
The Century of the Self – Part 2 – The Engineering of Consent:
- The Trap | Part 1 – Fuck You Buddy (Adam Curtis BBC 2007) - 4. Februar 2015
- The Trap | Part 2 – The Lonely Robot (Adam Curtis BBC 2007) - 4. Februar 2015
- The Trap | Part 3 – We Will Force You To Be Free (Adam Curtis BBC 2007) - 4. Februar 2015
- Macht der Alpträume II | Die neue Politik der Furcht (UT Deutsch) - 9. Mai 2011
- Macht der Alpträume I | Baby, es ist kalt da draussen (UT Deutsch) - 9. Mai 2011