ARMENIA: THE BETRAYED on BBC, January 2003 *Full documentary on the Armenian Genocide*
“In a special Correspondent to coincide with Holocaust memorial week, Fergal Keane investigates how a terrible slaughter, three quarters of a century ago, has returned to haunt the relationship between Turkey and its western allies. For decades the Armenian people have campaigned to have the killings of hundreds of thousands of their forefathers in Ottoman Turkey in 1915 recognised as genocide.
But there has been an equally determined campaign by Turkey to deny genocide with threats of reprisals against any country which uses the word to describe the slaughter. Now as the United States steps up its efforts to win Ankara’s support in any conflict with Iraq Correspondent reveals new Turkish pressures. Threats to withdraw military bases have forced the American Congress to abandon legislation which would have used the all important term, “genocide”.
The programme also discloses how President George W Bush and his predecessor Bill Clinton both broke promises to the Armenian community that they would recognise genocide. Talking to Armenian survivors, Turkish officials and key political figures in the United States Correspondent investigates a story of terrible slaughter, political intrigue and a people betrayed.”
- Die Slawen | Unsere geheimnisvollen Vorfahren - 17.01.2018
- Re: Schluss mit “Made in Germany”? Chinas Run auf den Mittelstand - 10.01.2018
- How Facebook turns users data into its profit | Monologue of the Algorithm - 10.01.2018
- Hannah Arendt bei Günter Gaus (Diskussion) - 07.01.2018
- Andreas Rebers | Krankenschwester, Krankenschwester - 04.01.2018