Social media is becoming increasingly influential in coverage of international news events and political uprisings, as we’ve seen in the Middle East and North Africa in recent months. One group that has pioneered this form of news coverage and international dialogue between bloggers, journalists, and activists is Global Voices Online. It is a dynamic online community of more than 300 bloggers and translators around the world that curate and highlight the most fascinating conversations and uses of citizen media with special emphasis on the developing world and anywhere freedom of expression is limited. In this talk, meet Solana Larsen (managing editor) who describes how Global Voices works, what they have learned in the past six years of following blogs in places people rarely hear about, and how you can get involved as a reader, volunteer writer, or translator.
Learn more about re:publica: http://re-publica.de
- re:connecting EUROPE re:cap Video 2017 - 18.10.2017
- re:connecting Europe 2017 – Ramak Molavi: Ultimate Platform Power: a situation in need of change - 10.10.2017
- re:connecting Europe 2017 – Anna Alberts: Re:connecting Europe: following money flows - 10.10.2017
- re:connecting Europe 2017 – Digital News/Media Coops: A Better Future? - 09.10.2017
- re:connecting Europe 2017 – Jan-Philipp Martini: Avoid the digital trap. Try Mindfulness. - 09.10.2017