There is going to be a climate summit at the UN headquarters in New York on the 23st of September. In the US Barack Obama has again abandoned any attempts to go for a legally binding international climate deal at the climate summit next year. Nnimmo Bassey says that “governments cannot be depended upon to fight global warming (…) because governments are generally at the beg and call of big corporations”. “The spark of hope lies in the people. In the people who are not negotiating”. The “People’s Climate March” should demand that “the money for climate debts should be paid to the global South and call for a reduction of expenditure on military hardware and war. If it makes such demands then that may be useful”. People should also march to the “climate crime scenes”, for example to the oil fields in Nigeria and “saying Shell, Exxon Mobile, Chevron, you are climate crimes, enough, you have to put a stop to it. We don’t have to go far away”.
Nnimmo Bassey, Nigerian climate activist, currently chair of the board of Environmental Rights Action. He works for the Oilwatch network. From 2008 to 2012 he was chair of Friends of the Earth International. He’s the author of “To Cook a Continent”. In 2010 he received the Right Livelihood Award, better known as the Alternative Nobel Peace Prize.
- Zeitenwende?! Fabian Scheidler im Gespräch zu seinem Buch “Chaos”, JBZ Salzburg - 20.12.2017
- Fabian Scheidler und Erwin Wagenhofer in Wien: Chaos. Das neue Zeitalter der Revolutionen - 05.12.2017
- Srećko Horvat: Ein anderes Europa ist möglich - 07.11.2017
- Fabian Scheidler: Chaos. Das neue Zeitalter der Revolutionen – Kontext TV - 06.11.2017
- Was der Wahlkampf verschweigt: die Autoindustrie und der Weg ins Klimachaos – Kontext TV - 12.09.2017