Media that spy on and data-mine the public are capable of destroying humanity’s most precious freedom: freedom of thought. Ensuring that media remain structured to support rather than suppress individual freedom and civic virtue requires us to achieve specific free technology and free culture goals. Our existing achievements in these directions are under assault from companies trying to bottleneck human communications or own our common culture, and states eager to control their subjects’ minds. In this talk–one of a series beginning with “The dotCommunist Manifesto” and “Die Gedanken Sind Frei”–I offer some suggestions about how the Free World should meet the challenges of the next decade.
Find out more about re:publica: http://re-publica.de
- re:publica Accra 2018 | re:cap - 11.02.2019
- re:publica Accra 2018 – Made in Africa, Coming to America: Distribution in the Digital Age - 14.01.2019
- re:publica Accra 2018 – Disrupting Conferences: The Art of Hosting Events that Matter - 14.01.2019
- re:publica Accra 2018 – Boundaries and Technology – How Africa Can Overcome Linguistic Troubles… - 14.01.2019
- re:publica Accra 2018 – Dude, Where is my Container?! Leveraging Blockchain Technology for Global… - 14.01.2019