Full broadcast: http://www.kontext-tv.de/en/broadcasts/david-graeber-occupy-wall-street-revolution-rojava
With David Graeber, professor of anthropology at the London School of Economics. His latest books include “Debt. The First 5000 Years” and “The Utopia of Rules”.
In his speech at the international conference „Challenging Capitalist Modernity“ at the University of Hamburg David Graeber talks about his experiences with the Global Justice Movement, Occupy Wall Street and his visit to the Kurdish province of Rojava in the North of Syria. In Rojava, Kurds and other groups have succeeded in creating autonomous bottom-up structures that have so far resisted successfully the Islamic State, the Assad regime and the attacks by the Turkish government. According to Graeber, the revolution in Rojava is particularly remarkable because it has developed methods to organize economic and political life from the bottom up, largely avoiding hierarchical bureaucracies. For this purpose a double power structure has been established: For the necessary contacts with external institutions a state-like structure is in place; internally, however, the local councils remain in control of the decision-making processes. With these achievements Rojava could be an important inspiration for the search of “real democracy” beyond state bureaucracies.
- Zeitenwende?! Fabian Scheidler im Gespräch zu seinem Buch “Chaos”, JBZ Salzburg - 20.12.2017
- Fabian Scheidler und Erwin Wagenhofer in Wien: Chaos. Das neue Zeitalter der Revolutionen - 05.12.2017
- Srećko Horvat: Ein anderes Europa ist möglich - 07.11.2017
- Fabian Scheidler: Chaos. Das neue Zeitalter der Revolutionen – Kontext TV - 06.11.2017
- Was der Wahlkampf verschweigt: die Autoindustrie und der Weg ins Klimachaos – Kontext TV - 12.09.2017