Complete broadcast: http://www.kontext-tv.de/node/327
With Chris Hedges, Senior fellow at the Nation Institute, former foreign correspondent for the New York Times, Pulitzer Prize in 2002. His latest book is "Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt" with illustrator Joe Sacco.
In his book "Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt" Chris Hedges describes "sacrifice zones" in the U.S. which have been exposed to unlimited economic exploitation: fromer industrial centres like Camden, New Jersey which is one of the poorest and most violent cities in the country or the coal mines of West Virginia where nature and commmunities have been devastated. The liberal institutions such as the Democratic Party have betrayed the American people and sold their interests to corporate capital. The Clinton administration was responsible for the deregulation of financial markets, the hand over of public airwaves to private corporations and the Northamerican Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) – "the hardest attack on workers’ interests since 1948". Further revolts like the Occupy movement are to be expected.
The attack on civil rights under the Obama adminstration is even worse than under George W. Bush says Chris Hedges. With the escalation of drone attacks and the White House "kill list" American citizens can be killed without trial. The espionage act is used to silence whistleblowers as in the case of former CIA-employee Kiriakou who has been sentenced to 30 months in prison after exposing war crimes. Under the NDAA (National Defense Authorization Act) citizens can be detained without due process for an infinite time. As the law applies to journalists as well Hedges has sued the Obama adminstration – and was proven right by District Judge Katherine B. Forrest.
- Warum die EU nicht zu retten und ein Austritt keine Lösung ist: Lisa Mittendrein (Attac Österreich)) - 18.10.2018
- Kontext TV: Ein anderes Fernsehen ist möglich HD - 01.10.2018
- Milo Rau, Fabian Scheidler im Literaturhaus Berlin: Chaos. Das neue Zeitalter der Revolutionen - 04.07.2018
- Stefan Rahmstorf: Der unterschätzte Klimawandel: Jetstreams, versinkende Städte, Todeszonen im Meer - 15.06.2018
- Norman Finkelstein on Israel-Palestine: „I Think that Gandhian Tactics Can Work” - 15.05.2018