Shortly after the Paris and Brussels attacks, the EU adopted a series of measures to fight „terrorism“ – without evaluating their effectiveness, without providing any evidence and without analyzing potential negative side effects for human rights online.
For instance, the „Directive on combating terrorism“ was written by the EU Commission in only two weeks, it was presented without an impact assessment and is expected to be finalised later this year. Why the hurry? Because it is important to give people a feeling that the EU is doing something to „protect us“.
This talk will examine the negative consequences that rushed
anti-terrorism measures have for our freedoms and our security.
- Interview: The (un)logic of Internet-Shutdowns - 17.01.2019
- Die große Netzpolitische Adventsfeier! - 06.12.2018
- Interview mit Joseph A. Cannataci – UN-Sonderberichterstatter für Datenschutz - 19.11.2018
- Unser neues Logo - 08.11.2018
- Julia Reda über aktuellen Stand der EU-Urheberrechtsreform - 11.10.2018