Shortly after the Paris and Brussels attacks, the EU adopted a series of measures to fight „terrorism“ – without evaluating their effectiveness, without providing any evidence and without analyzing potential negative side effects for human rights online.
For instance, the „Directive on combating terrorism“ was written by the EU Commission in only two weeks, it was presented without an impact assessment and is expected to be finalised later this year. Why the hurry? Because it is important to give people a feeling that the EU is doing something to „protect us“.
This talk will examine the negative consequences that rushed
anti-terrorism measures have for our freedoms and our security.
- Markus Beckedahl im ARD-Mittagsmagazin über CIA-Hackertruppe - 9. März 2017
- Sachverständigenanhörung im NSA-Untersuchungsausschuss - 7. Dezember 2016
- #12np: Artificial Intelligence is Hard to See: Social & ethical impacts of AI - 8. November 2016
- #12np: Netzneutralität: Bleibt wachsam! - 7. November 2016
- #12np: Civic Tech – Technologie für Bürger*innen - 4. November 2016